Gulf Coast and Nature Coast areas
SUNCOAST SERVICE DOGS, INC.
A Non Profit 501 (c)(3)
Our Mission is to provide assistance to those with verified medical disabilities with a task trained Service Dog as defined by ADA Federal Law.
- To entwine the innate ability of dogs to assist persons with a disability as defined by ADA Federal Law.
- To train using Scientific Based Humane Training methods that elicits a dog to want to perform the tasks trained as needed for an individual.
- To respect the privacy of and provide guidance to those who receive our Service Dogs for the life time of the Service Dog team.
- To follow steps in training set forth by the Assistance Dogs International, Association of Professional Dog Trainers, The Pet Professional Guild, Therapy Pets Unlimited and The American Kennel Club.
- We accept surrendered family dogs and rescues and care for them based on the Animal Care Standards and the Five Freedoms.
We have assembled the most unique, educated and experienced Advisory Committee on all aspects of people with disabilities and dog health and behavior. A reservoir of knowledgeable people helping in designing training and fit of person and dog! New Board members with personal experience in business, health issues and lengthy, expanded dog related experience have joined our organization. This wealth of knowledge is appreciated as it is a all volunteer organization.
USE THE FIRST STEP FORM- NEXT PAGE- FOR RECEIVING FURTHER INFORMATION
Client References and Veterinary References are available.
1. Less Hands On from you. Donation for a dog raised from puppy, we take care of everything. We have a list of incredible breeders with excellent calm smart dogs. You can interact with the puppy. Contract is cancelled if the dog does not make the obedience and task training goals or does not bond. This includes your training as well a two/three week program, which may require a overnight stay closer to Homosassa Springs at your cost. You will receive a video to practice prior to training that can cut your away from home training time. A Public Access Test to the team is given to graduate. 2. Most Hands On less fund raising needed. You are a puppy raiser. This program for local residents is where we receive a puppy from our reliable breeders. Like <<<<Bugatti - Pedigree health tested parent dogs. Or you can purchase one from a Local breeder we recommend like Loveable Poodles. Your input of type of dog will be considered, but final choice in the breed is ours. A deposit secures a dog from us to be raised by you and includes our training guidelines. You then care for the puppy and attend all the of needed classes for obedience - follow our guidelines in basic day to day socialization and play. You provide the food we recommend for the puppy and provide all medical needs. Training is biweekly in Homosassa Springs. When the dog is mature enough to start task and response training we then take the puppy for finish task training. If goals are not made in task training donations made in Go Fund Me Accounts are transferred back so you may continue to find a dog. You will receive a sample video to practice and refer to while training. And one with your dogs tasks commands and alert responses. A Public Access Test as a team will be given to graduate. How Do I
Apply for a Service Dog? Fill out the FIRST STEP FORM . The Director of Training will contact you to start the process. If you
are approved, you will be placed on our waiting list for a service dog. Waiting time to meet your future service dog can be 2 weeks to 24 months. We often have dogs that have completed training and are ready to bond and train with the person they are to assist. Service Dog Taught how to Operate LifeStation Equipment
OUR GRACIE ON THE INTERNET OPERATING LIFESTATION EQUIPMENT
PLEASE GO TO SUNCOAST SERVICE DOGS ON YOU TUBE TO SEE ALL OF THE TYPES OF TASKS OUR DOGS ARE TRAINED TO DO.
FLORIDA NEW LAWS BEING PLACED FOR DOGS TO HELP IN THE COURTROOM
THERAPY DOGS : Many times a dog is just to friendly to be a Service Dog, these dogs can go on to be therapy dogs in professional venues - private or institution.
A rescued dog from our local shelter NORI, who was owned by founder of Suncoast Service Dogs and is now the resident Therapy Dog for Brooksville Healthcare Center, meeting and greeting up to 300 people a day! Nori had been a Therapy Dog for a year as well as a Courtroom Dog - she lives to be patted and fussed over! She is one happy Bassetdore, who was discarded and now brings smiles to many many people!